Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

'Nothing useless can be truly beautiful' - 24 Hour Party People


Hello my lovelies,

Hope you're all well and enjoying 2016 so far. I'm happy to be getting back to blogging and back to watching all sorts of films. I still have so many films to get through on my list that is forever growing. It always takes me ages to decide what to watch but today I went for 24 Hour Party People.

The 2002 British comedy drama focuses on Manchester's music community between 1976 and 1992 using Steve Coogan as Tony Wilson as a sort of centre of the film. It follows his career from being a television news reporter to setting up Factory Records. From there it follows the artists that Factory Records take care of such as Joy Division and New Order.

Throughout the film there were times when it would keep my attention but also times I'd feel myself not noticing what was happening. I don't think its a bad film, this particular one just might not be for me as I don't know a lot about the artists mentioned. I like films like this but I think if I had more of an interest in the artists focused on then I would enjoy it more so for fans of this particular music it would be great. Due to this I think the film felt a lot longer to me and its already a two hour long film.



However I do like the cast and I think it worked well with the story of the film. The casting adds to the comedy element of the film and distracts from some of the drama at times. Normally Steve Coogan winds me up a little when playing his popular character Alan Partridge but I think in this case he fits the role of Tony Wilson, although I still don't feel he's an amazing, interesting character. Its such a mixed casting with actors such as Lennie James (known for The Walking Dead), Simon Pegg (Shaun of the Dead), Christopher Eccleston (Doctor Who), and Rob Brydon (comedian). For me the mix of the cast made the film better, although it was also interesting seeing the music move forward with the times.

With its use of old concert footage and the way that Tony Wilson talks to the audience through the camera, at times it felt a bit documentary like rather having so much of a story, making it a bit of a mocumentary style film, but I still enjoyed it. It seems to be a film I'll have to watch again at some point when I know more about the artists included, and with that in mind that's it for this post.


Until next time, thanks for reading :) x  


Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar