I tend to naturally gravitate toward women authors (it's not really something I worry about much, but that is what happens), but certainly when I read translated books, they are far more likely to be by men. I went and looked at my shelf of library books, which are mostly translations right now, and yep, most were men. But I had two women, and so I'll try to read one this month and maybe even two, although that's asking a lot since school starts soon and I have a lot of prep work to do!
If you'd like to learn a bit more about this event, here's a FAQ by the original founder, Meytal Radzinski, a translator and blogger (at Biblibio). She's also posting about WIT daily, it looks like, so head on over and check it out.
Not that I've been posting a lot about actual books lately (you should see the pile waiting for review!), because I've been trying to get the UK trip down, but I actually have reviewed three ladies in translation recently, which does sort of imply that I am not lacking in this department! - The Tale of Genji, by Murasaki Shikibu, was written 900 years ago at the Heian court of Japan and is sometimes called the first novel, though I think that's debatable.
- Three Chestnut Horses, by Margita Figuli, is a love story and fable that is a modern Slovakian classic.
- And Escape From the Soviets, by Tatiana Tchernavin, is a compelling memoir of life in the early USSR and her family's desperate escape from it.
This month I'll pick up Baba Yaga Laid an Egg, by Dubravka Ugresic, a Croatian novel about four women which is also a postmodern retelling of the Baba Yaga legend. I couldn't resist that title, and I've had it waiting for some time.
Should there be time, I've also been looking forward to a book that was only just published (by my slowpoke standards, anyway): The Big Green Tent by Ludmila Ulitskaya, which made a big splash in Russia. I really like the cover--green is my favorite, after all. It's about three boys in the post-Stalin USSR.What do you think--an event worth participating in? Sounds like fun to me!

0 Yorumlar