Hello, Friends! I am so off topic this week for Sepia Saturday, but I think that you will really enjoy this post. Instead of concentrating on the "School Health Fairy" in the prompt photo, I went with camping. There is a difference between bringing a fancy R.V. to a campground and camping. In many ways, I think that camping is much more fun. I can't argue about the comfy beds and good bathrooms in the R.V.'s though.
When I was growing up, we tent camped. It was probably easier when we were with the relatives and tent camped along side their trailers, campers or motorhomes, but actually, tent camping isn't very hard. No fuss, no muss, just throw some food, clothes and towels into the little camp utility trailer and off we went. Dad, Mom, us four kids, the dog; and perhaps a cousin or a friend along for the experience. When you are done here, please check out my friend Jessa Irene's blog post about what to pack for a camping trip by "clicking here".
![]() |
| This was our rig ... a Jeep Wagoner and our camping gear. |
When it was just our family, or with my Mom's side, (without Grandpa and Grandpa's fishing boat, or Uncle Red and Aunt Vete's water-skiing boat), we would go to a river campground. Look at this. Just set things up, start a fire and you are done! Our little camping utility trailer had a kitchen at the end with a Coleman stove and a place for the dishes and food.
![]() |
| My Little Bro and my Mom are hanging out, relaxing and I'll bet you anything Mom has a book in her lap. |
![]() |
| Home, sweet home! It looks like somebody was camping under the stars. |
![]() |
| Dad loved to cook, so that part wasn't left all to Mom. We ate a lot of trout. |
![]() |
| Getting ready to eat! Dad, Little Bro, Julie and Angie. |
![]() |
| My sister Angie, with her friend Miaja standing on the log. |
![]() |
| Looking good, Mom! Love the halter top. I swear, she read to block us out, lol. |
![]() |
| Dad loved to read too. I guess that I come by it naturally. |
Many times, we would get together with my Dad's side of the family and go to a lake. My Aunt and Uncle had a boat, and Uncle Red was so patient in teaching us all to ski. Beginners sat in an inner tube on shore and maneuvered their skis so the tips pointed out and the foot part pointed in and we would say, "hit it!" and WA-lah, we were skiing! It was thrilling the first time you stayed up, on top of that water.
![]() |
| Angie helps to pull the boat in. |
![]() | |||
| We have some double action going on here. I'm sure that they spent most of their time outside of the wake. |
![]() |
| Ryan, Robyn, Julie and Cathy pose with their work of art. |
The back of the picture above says, "Gary's birthday cake." Without t.v.. and with new friends, it wasn't hard to find something imaginative to do when we were camping.
These were all the kids that were in the group when we went to Prineville Resevoir in 1975. Little Bro., my cousin Terry, Gary, Me in the Daisy Duke shirt, Cathy, Angie, Julie, Robyn and Ryan. We had so much fun on that trip!
And here are the folks that made it happen: Gail, Gary, Uncle Red, Aunt Loveta, Mom, Dad, Charlene and Revus. And, that is what camping is all about ... having fun, making memories and relaxing.
We let our kids camp in the garage. Actually, my second husband and I took them camping a lot, but this time we set up the tent inside the garage for a sleepover. Peter, Kristin, Gabe, Oliver and Kari settle down for the night. Even if they didn't settle down quickly, the garage door was closed and I couldn't hear them.
This 1963 Rand McNally Book shows what it was like to go tent camping. What gets me about this book is how loose everybody was in the car. That is what it was like though. No seat belts, no car seats, hanging your head out the window ... ah, those were the days. How did so many of us ever survive, anyway? I hope that you guys enjoy this little book as much as I did. I enlarged it for easier viewing, so just scroll along the bottom to move the picture over.
For another Sepia Saturday post that I previously did about camping, please check out this link, "Camping in the 1940's".
Last, but not least, the video below cracked me up! I love how they made sure that we knew they were drinking Coke. Thanks so much for your visit. Please leave me a comment and I'll make sure to stop by and see you too.
~ Kathy M.
So, there you are, my friends. If you enjoyed this story, please visit my Sepia Saturday friends by "CLICKING HERE" to find other neat photos and stories. To read more about my family and other stories featuring old photos, memories and more, please look for this picture of me and my dad on the left-hand sidebar and read whatever else catches your fancy. Also, there is a list of my Sepia Saturday friends blogs below the football stuff, if you want to find some more like-minded and wonderful people. Thanks so much for visiting!
![]() |
| Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews |
![]() | |
| At Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy, if you miss a day, you miss a lot! All material on this post is copyrighted and not for use without my permission ...Please click here to go to my home page and see what is happening in Mayberry today. |































0 Yorumlar